Thursday, October 2, 2008

How Do I Shot Comic? (I know its a crappy title. It's late. Sue me.)





So for a long time I've been working on a comic called Loche. It's been like 10 years since I started working on it. Over time the stories changed, evolved. Characters were added, some were written out. And the biggest change is the format of the book. Initially the book was going to be a monthly series with a 22 to 24 page format, the traditional "floppy" format that is the standard of mainstream comics. While this works for Marvel and DC being big corporate entities it doesn't necessarily work for a pov-ass independant creator like me. So now the book will be published (when its finished) in a graphic novel form, measuring in at around 150 pages. The book will be backed up with supplemental material online. Sort of like the backmatter in Watchmen or League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (not that I'm comparing myself to Alan Moore) the stuff you'll find on the site will be short 6 to 8 page comics, character bios, the back history of some of the settings and events. It seems that nowadays the resources that a creator has available is kind of underutilized. A story can be told in much larger "brushstrokes" than a 22 page serialized story. Now that being said, with the change from a floppy format to a OGN format I'm not going to being using a bunch of covers. Which kind of sucks... cause coming up with a strong cover is a hard thing to do. Some artists are fantastic cover artists: Neal Adams, Jack Kirby, Will Eisner are pretty obvious then there are some contemporary artists like Frank Cho, Alex Maleev, Marko Djurevic, all come up with fantastic and compelling covers. I would kill for the ability to create some of the iconic images some artists can come up with.
Well anyways here are some covers that aren't going to be used. They're all unfinished. Which seems to be a running theme in my work.
Anyway. Enjoy. Hope you dig 'em. And keep checking in for more stuff about Loche.

(Oh needless to say... Loche and subsequent characters and stories as well as the images posted on this blog are copyright Nick Ardill, 2008. Like anyones gonna steal it but I gotta cover my ass.)

1 comment:

rabbit said...

i remember loche.... it's good to see it's still alive.